So, I have good and bad and funny news…
The bad news first: I had to delay my New York departure by one day. It may not seem like much to you… but it feels like an eternity! Those extra 24 hours will be absolutely unbearable. (P.S. The picture has nothing to do with said topic, but I thought it was reeeeally funny).
The bad news first: I had to delay my New York departure by one day. It may not seem like much to you… but it feels like an eternity! Those extra 24 hours will be absolutely unbearable. (P.S. The picture has nothing to do with said topic, but I thought it was reeeeally funny).
The good news: I received a Talent Award from the department of communications. This will cover my tuition for Spring Term, so that is $800 less I have to come up with. Also, I received a round trip travel voucher from Jet Blue (which is why I had to delay my departure in the first place). So, even though I had to pay a $40 cancellation fee (which seems very reasonable to me), I now have a free ticket and a credit I can use for a future trip. BYU is really coming through for me with this whole thing… Spring Term (all expenses included) will be nearly free.

Neither bad nor good: My friend Emilie brought in these books for me to read. They are the Shopaholic books, written by Sophie Kinsella… Well, I am having a really hard time getting into them. I usually inhale books and I can read them in about a day, but this time, it isn’t like that. Here’s why I think this is happening:

The main character, Becky, is a chronic shopaholic. She has a great career but all she does is think about money and how she is going to spend it… Meanwhile, she has her bank calling her on a daily basis wanting to collect payments for her VISA. She has the most awful sense of reason. She will go on for freaking ever trying to justify the one purchase. It gets old listening to her try and justify her stupid shopping choices, and then, she comes up with this brilliant (and by brilliant I mean completely idiotic) plan to win the lottery. Of course, she doesn’t win a thing, but she already had plans of how she was going to spend all her winnings… What an idiot.
Maybe the books will get better, but I doubt it. Still… I am not one to give up on books easily, so maybe I will like the books in the end… I still think she is an idiot.
Funny News: This is something my friend, Vanessa, said to me yesterday… (Background: I was telling her how I am pretty ticked at one of my guy friends for reasons that will remain unsaid)
“What are men compared to sky scrapers and Broadway shows?”
This, of course, was adapted from the Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice, when Elizabeth Bennet says,
“What are men compared to rocks and mountains?”
I cannot believe I still don’t own that movie… I mean, I could literally watch it every day, and I still don’t own it…
“What are men compared to sky scrapers and Broadway shows?”
This, of course, was adapted from the Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice, when Elizabeth Bennet says,
“What are men compared to rocks and mountains?”
I cannot believe I still don’t own that movie… I mean, I could literally watch it every day, and I still don’t own it…

3 comments:
I hate that movie.... what a sad representation of such a wonderful book! And that line isn't just from the movie, it's written in Pride and Prejudice, so don't go giving Kiera Knightly all of the credit for such great thoughts. If ANYONE but her had played the part of Eliza..... oh wait, also I would not have accepted Scarlett Johansson. Have you ever seen the really long A&E version?
Response to comment posted by boyd and rachel: I'm sorry you haven't acquired refined enough tastes to enjoy the NEW Pride and Prejudice. And if you had read closely, you would have noticed that Alina wasn't explicitly giving the credit to either Kiera Knightly or Pride and Prejudice (the book).
It's funny that an Emilie gave you that book to read..if I were still living in Provo I would have done same thing. I love the shopaholic books but I can see how they might be a bit annoying...I do agree that she is pretty stupid:)
By the way I'm not living in France anymore but if you ever want to come visit the awesome city of Munich just let me now!
Post a Comment