random (27) Broadway (26) London (16) beautiful things (15) family (14) travel (14) Friends (13) NYC (13) producing (9) Christmas (6) Europe (6) Paris (6) BYU (5) Florida (5) Thanksgiving (5) theater (5) Apartment (4) Birthday (4) Movies (4) New York (4) RENT (4) Twilight (4) life (4) music (4) Baby (3) Ballroom (2) Broadway Impact (2) Exciting stuff (2) Pretty Things (2) Tags (2) art (2) concerts (2) dance (2) decor (2) equality (2) free stuff (2) marriage equality (2) mom (2) tv (2) Amalia (1) BYU Football (1) Fun Stuff (1) Halloween (1) Literature (1) Louvre (1) Munchkin (1) Oscars (1) Things I like (1) Utah (1) Versailles (1) politics (1) recipes (1)

6.08.2009

TONYs Day

Well... The TONYs came and went and it makes me wish everyday was TONYs day. It was really an amazing experience. It started with the dress rehearsal. Ash and I met up at Radio City at 8:30AM and lined up with fellow theater lovers and waited to go inside.
We had amazing seats for the rehearsal. They had an opening number comprised of all the shows that were nominated, but the best part was definitely how many legends were a part of it: Dolly, Liza, Elton, and ok, not so much a legend: Brett Michaels. I think my favorite part was the egg from Shrek the Musical dancing and singing along to "Let the Sun Shine In." The video cuts out at the end, but to watch all but the last few seconds, click here.
They ran through the show, including the awards and had people come up and make fake speeches. It was a long rehearsal, but we were entertained... New goal: win a fake TONY. One thing that we were so confused about: Neil Patrick Harris sang a song at the end that basically told us who won? I don't get why they included that in the dress rehearsal. You can watch that here.
After the rehearsal, Ash and I walked through the street fair along 6th Ave and then went home to get ready. At 6PM, Meghan, Anna and I met up with Ashley again and lined up to go inside. Once inside, we split up as Anna and Meghan had seats on a different level. Ash and I found out that we had orchestra seats the night before and we about died. Thanks to Jill and the Roundabout Theatre Co., we got to sit in their section, right behind the cute boys from Waiting for Godot who were playing Nintendo DS and eating string cheese.
The show went on with amazing performances by Rock of Ages, Guys and Dolls, West Side Story, HAIR, Next to Normal, Billy Elliot, Shrek the Musical, and the traveling casts of Mamma Mia, Jersey Boys and Legally Blonde. Billy Elliot won so many awards, it was ridiculous. I'm excited that Karen Olivo won a TONY for Best Featured Actress in a Musical. I was also thrilled that The Norman Conquests won Best Revival of a Play and HAIR won Best Revival of a Musical. Well deserved. Alice Ripley made a WEIRD acceptance speech after receiving her award for Best Actress in a Musical, for her performance in Next to Normal.
After the awards, Meghan, Anna and I headed to Applebee's to kill some time because it's the classy thing to do, apparently. Then we headed up to the HAIR afterparty at Tavern on the Green. Thanks to Forbes Candlesh we got to go! The party was so fun. I still don't understand how I didn't see John Stamos and Anne Hathaway who were apparently there. I got to briefly talk to Jeffrey Rush but he seemed really out of it, so I'm not sure that counts as a meeting. Earlier that evening, he received a TONY for Best Leading Actor in a Play. It was so fun to be there with my friends and to experience a night filled with excitement that honors the hard work that so many put into theater productions.

These are completely out of order, but I can't get them to move around for some reason...


Me and Gavin, my vote is for him... If only I were a TONY voter.


Self explanatory...

SO color coordinated! Triple A, Meghan and Rory



Rory. Me. Post TONYs.



Ash, Gavin and I.



Sooo excited! Waiting for the show to start.


Headed on a cab over to Radio City



Post dress rehearsal, Ash and I celebrated by eating Empanada Mammas at the street fair.


At the dress rehersal.

Finale for the opening number



Ash and I at the rehearsal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with the TONY's, but how are you liking Wuthering Heights?

Merilee said...

Nina face! You have the most glam life ever! How do you meet all these people? Do you work as a theatre coordinator? I know you've told me.

Anonymous said...

Aaron Tveit is so dreamy!

-your seester