random (27) Broadway (26) London (16) beautiful things (15) family (14) travel (14) Friends (13) NYC (13) producing (9) Christmas (6) Europe (6) Paris (6) BYU (5) Florida (5) Thanksgiving (5) theater (5) Apartment (4) Birthday (4) Movies (4) New York (4) RENT (4) Twilight (4) life (4) music (4) Baby (3) Ballroom (2) Broadway Impact (2) Exciting stuff (2) Pretty Things (2) Tags (2) art (2) concerts (2) dance (2) decor (2) equality (2) free stuff (2) marriage equality (2) mom (2) tv (2) Amalia (1) BYU Football (1) Fun Stuff (1) Halloween (1) Literature (1) Louvre (1) Munchkin (1) Oscars (1) Things I like (1) Utah (1) Versailles (1) politics (1) recipes (1)

9.05.2008

Goodbye, love

So yesterday, I decided to go see RENT one last time… I just can’t get over the fact that it is closing. I know many of you probably hate it and think it is an awful musical, but if you really look at the messages, they remind you of why you should live each day as your last (so you have no regrets) and it teaches you to be accepting and appreciate love and friendship.

Of course, all the remaining shows are sold out, but I was lucky enough to get a standing room ticket…and eventually, I found an empty seat, so I really lucked out.

When the cast came out, and cute, little Adam Kantor (who is so cute and little- I just want to put him in my pocket) was about to start, the crowd went crazy, clapping and cheering for what seemed like 5 minutes. He kept trying to start the show and the crowd would just get louder… The rest of the cast was so pumped because of it… No doubt, as soon as Adam began with “December 24th,9 PM EST, from here on in, I shoot without a script…” the crowd stopped, but only got louder after Adam and Will finished singing RENT.

A lot of the songs just seemed so much more powerful… Maybe it was because I knew this was my last time seeing it on Broadway. Roger (AKA Will Chase) and Mimi (Renee Elise Goldsberry) both got standing ovations for “Glory” and “Out Tonight.” The crowd went absolutely insane when Eden Espinosa (Maureen) came out to do her protest, and for once, I actually moo’ed with the crowd… I think it is the loudest moo-ing I have ever heard during a RENT production. La Vie Boheme was packed with energy, and Seasons of Love got the entire audience clapping and signing along.






I have never cried so much during the second act of RENT… I was really moved by Collin’s “I’ll Cover You (Reprise).” It reminded me of my uncle because they talked about how Angel’s heart expired…and that is exactly what happened to my uncle. The song was so powerful!

And of course, Finale B ALWAYS makes me cry… Maybe it is something about the slideshow going on in the background while the cast sings a combination of “I’d die without you” and “No Day but Today”… SO moving, and life-changing. It is a really intense visual that moved everyone in the audience.

At the end of the show, the audience exploded with clapping and continued to do so for seriously like 10 minutes. The cast kept coming back out to take more bows.


AMAZING! I love RENT, and though I don’t really identify with any of the characters, I identify with the message of love and acceptance that Jonathan Larson hoped would change the lives of many.


After the show, I signed the wall. While I was waiting to get pictures with Adam Kantor (who is tragically, only 21) and Will Chase (who is tragically 38… I know because I asked him...I mean... deciding which train would be the best to take home, some of the cast came out and I got more autographs and pictures… And okay, I LOVE Adam and got a picture with him and another with Will, who made fun of me for reading library books. I told him he should read it, too, because everyone should read Emily Griffin books. I just know Will is going to love them. Ha…

Here are some pics:



This is me signing the wall at the Nederlander Theater




This is what I wrote...




With Will Chase who plays Roger Davis



With the fabulous Eden Espinosa, who has also been Elphaba in Wicked



With Adam Kantor... I can't even believe THIS was his Broadway debut. He is amazing.

1 comment:

Mark and Kyra Herbst said...

Wow - I can't believe Rent is closing and I never got to see it... Sad days. Your pics look amazing, and look at you. You live in New York! You go to Broadway shows and get pictures with the cast! Who are you??? :)