random (27) Broadway (26) London (16) beautiful things (15) family (14) travel (14) Friends (13) NYC (13) producing (9) Christmas (6) Europe (6) Paris (6) BYU (5) Florida (5) Thanksgiving (5) theater (5) Apartment (4) Birthday (4) Movies (4) New York (4) RENT (4) Twilight (4) life (4) music (4) Baby (3) Ballroom (2) Broadway Impact (2) Exciting stuff (2) Pretty Things (2) Tags (2) art (2) concerts (2) dance (2) decor (2) equality (2) free stuff (2) marriage equality (2) mom (2) tv (2) Amalia (1) BYU Football (1) Fun Stuff (1) Halloween (1) Literature (1) Louvre (1) Munchkin (1) Oscars (1) Things I like (1) Utah (1) Versailles (1) politics (1) recipes (1)

5.18.2008

Week 3 in New York City

Here is the thing... I HAVE a lot to say. I am naturally a very detail oriented person, so I am dying to write every single detail in this blog. I mean, people who know me should know that by now, and this week is certainly no exception. But... I also know some people are LAZY and don't read my blog posts and only look at the pictures. Well, you know what? Here are some pictures with short summaries, for your enjoyment :) However, if you would like more specific details, give me a call or drop me a line and specify what you would like me to expand on.


Student Rush seats are a blessing:) We got to see Legally Blonde for only $26.50. I absolutely loved it! All you doubters need to go see it! Laura Bell Bundy who plays Elle Woods is fabulous!




After the show, we headed over to Canal Street where they sell fake designer bags, sunglasses, perfume, turtles, you name it... An experience to remember for sure! I got three bags and some Tiffany's jewelry.



The long awaited dinner with Danny! We lost contact with her for a few years and were finaly able to meet up. We went to see What Happens in Vegas and then went to a really good Cuban restaurant near Union Square. Danny is the girl in the pink, sitting on my right.




Our waiter, Nick, treated us to a song by Queen. We went to the Starlight Diner where aspiring Broadway actors work. They all have amazing voices and take turns entertaining the customers. The diner is on the corner of Broadway and 51st Street.



WICKED!!! A dream come true! I was still in disbelief that Rachel's name was drawn for the Wicked lottery. We got front row seats for $26.25! The cast was amazing, and the show was everything I thought it would be! I want to see it again!



I took some pictures during the show with my phone. This isn't one of them because I forgot to bring the cord to upload pictures from my phone, but it is pretty close to one of the ones I actually took. That is not Julie Reiber as Elphie either. I am actually not sure who that is... But That's Kendra Kassebaum as Glinda.




With Kendra Kassebaum who plays Glinda, the Good witch. She is hilarious. She has a great voice and has been on Broadway for a while.




David Burnham sings like an angel... Really. And he was so NICE. He did an amazing job playing Fiyero.





ELPHIE!!! Well, her real name is Julie Reiber. This was her first night on the Broadway stage and she was fantastic. In fact, I want to find out when she will be on again, because I would rather see it when she is in the cast. She is currently an Elphaba standby, but knowing me... I would probably like her better than the current Elphaba. Julie was super nice.




We saw Mamma Mia for only $21.50. We got standing room tickets, which means you stand up the ENTIRE time. I didn't love this one as much, but it was still a fun show. The cast was amazing, and we had fun dancing along at the end when they sing Dancing Queen and Mamma Mia.


Andy Kelso (Sky) and Carrey Anderson (Sophie) in Mamma Mia!


As a tradition, we always wait for the cast to sign our Playbills, and since it was so cold outside we were invited to wait inside the theater. The security guard let us go on the stage and take pictures with the set and stuff! It was so cool! We got to see the dressing rooms and hear the story of the ghost light! I can now say I've been on a Broadway stage!



Another picture I did not take. This is the set for Little Mermaid. We got student rush tickets for $26.50. The sets and costumes were amazing. It was a cute show and it was fun to see it with kids because they were SO excited.




Central Park is absolutely beautiful on sunny days. We went there yesterday for a ward activity and ran into this Hip Hop crew performing at the fountain. After the ward activity, we walked through these trails in the park, and ended up on Central Park West and 81st Street where we met up with the rest of the BYU interns. Our advisor, Chris Cutri, planned a trip to the Museum of Natural History for us. BYU paid!



Do you recognize this from Night at the Museum (with Ben Stiller).... This is what we like to call the "Dum Dum" because in the movie, he keeps saying "hey dum dum, give me some gum gum." In the name of cheesiness... I am holding a pack of gum:)




With Randi, Hailey and Monica at the African Mammals Exhibit. Those are elephants in the back, in case you can't see them.





The dinosaur from Night at the Museum...




After the museum, we headed over to Little Italy for some delicious dinner and Gelato. We also saw the place where Heath Ledger died (sad) and then I went to see Prince Caspian with a friend who goes to BYU Idaho.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Smokes lady, you're doing it all! I can't believe you get the chance to do all of these amazing things and be in all of these amazing places! Lucky Girl you!

Amelia Brailsford said...

I'm so jealous! I saw Wicked and Mary Poppins in Feb...but totally wanted to see Little Mermaid too. I'm so coming to visit you. Tell Vanessa to go to work more and save money so she can come as well. LOL

esther said...

Looks like you've done in three weeks what took us a couple of months to do. But I was pregnant and then we had Lilly. There aren't many bathrooms in Manhattan for the public so I couldn't handle long days. But I got to see Wicked front row too. With the Lotto. I'm glad you go to see it. It was a great show.