random (27) Broadway (26) London (16) beautiful things (15) family (14) travel (14) Friends (13) NYC (13) producing (9) Christmas (6) Europe (6) Paris (6) BYU (5) Florida (5) Thanksgiving (5) theater (5) Apartment (4) Birthday (4) Movies (4) New York (4) RENT (4) Twilight (4) life (4) music (4) Baby (3) Ballroom (2) Broadway Impact (2) Exciting stuff (2) Pretty Things (2) Tags (2) art (2) concerts (2) dance (2) decor (2) equality (2) free stuff (2) marriage equality (2) mom (2) tv (2) Amalia (1) BYU Football (1) Fun Stuff (1) Halloween (1) Literature (1) Louvre (1) Munchkin (1) Oscars (1) Things I like (1) Utah (1) Versailles (1) politics (1) recipes (1)

1.31.2012

The Donmar Warehouse's Richard II

I finally realized my dream of seeing a Donmar Warehouse production. Hooray!
In my theatre nerd world, this is kind of a big deal. I truly admire the Donmar and the work they produce. 
I especially love how well-respected it is among the industry, and yet, they operate as a non-profit company... Something about that really intrigues me.

The best part of this story though is that the very talented Eddie Redmayne starred in the Donmar's Richard II. I have been dying to see Eddie in something ever since I missed my chance to see him in his Tony-winning performance of Red. 

The play was wonderfully done. There is something so classic and tasteful about Donmar productions. Michael Grandage's last contribution to the legacy of the Donmar will not go unnoticed. I read somewhere that most producers and directors refuse to take on Richard II as a project not only because it is extremely old fashioned, but also because it serves mostly as a document of conservatism. Somehow (and despite the Donmar's usual  political stance), Michael Grandage turned one of Shakespeare's oldest works into a revamped piece of traditional, yet effective theatre. I especially appreciated the authenticity that Grandage fought to preserve. The language, dress, and even the set were as traditional as they could be. In an industry where Shakespeare is often modernized, I appreciated actually seeing a more pure version of the play. 

Eddie's King Richard was an amazingly deep character. I loved seeing both the truly confident and incredibly vulnerable sides of Richard. Eddie has a certain quality in the way he delivers his lines which makes dialogue flow so smoothly, you'd almost think he's just having a typical conversation. Grandage, like many other directors, subscribes to the tradition of putting a show on its feet almost immediately to allow the actors to exercise instincts over anything else. In Eddie's case, his instincts as an actor are so pure and real that you cannot help but love King Richard, even despite his wrong doing. 

And lastly, can we please talk about how Eddie has no formal drama training? None. How amazing is that? Can we also discuss how Mark Rylance was his mentor? I love that so much. 
They're both pretty great in my book, and by great, I mean the best, and by the best I simply mean that 'The Wing' needs to give them all the Tonys. ALL OF THEM.

The 5.5 hour wait for tickets was absolutely worth it.

Super excited to see Eddie!

The cast of Richard II

Just look at him. What a man.

He sits like this from the time the house opens until curtain. 

With the man himself. 

1 comment:

Kristin Lea Robinson said...

Love this and wish I could have gone with you. Red is still in my top ten in nyc.

love you.