I broke my original record of 4 Broadway shows in one week... (OK...off Broadway counts too). Last Tuesday, Fahey and I got to go to the first night of previews of The Story of my Life which was just so sweet and tender. It stars Will Chase (Rent) and Malcolm Gets. I just really liked the way the show progressed. Basically, every song is a story about their childhood or teenage years or adult life. I LOVE it when people just tell me stories which is what this musical did. I liked that the set was so simple and I really loved the acting.
On Wednesday, I took the day off because Anna and I were going to go see In the Heights, but that ended up not working out, so I got on her Seat Filler account and saw matinee tickets for the Marvelous Wonderettes. Of course it was AMAZING. I think my favorite thing about it is that I already knew a lot of the songs. Not that I had ever listened to the recording, but all the songs were popular in the 50s and 60s, so naturally everyone knows them. If I was a good singer, that would definitely be the show I would want to be in...or Wicked, or Legally Blonde, or In the Heights... Oh...never mind.
Then, that night, Ash, Anna, Sara Borg and I went to see Hedda Gabler which was interesting... It was very well done but I didn't love it. It just wasn't my type of show. BUT...Mary Louise Parker was quite good in this show. I did like her acting...and her dresses. I want to buy them from her.
Then, as if three shows in one week weren't enough... We decided to try the 20 for 20 deal with Altar Boyz. Basically, 20 minutes before the show starts, they sell all remaining seats for $20. Jason Bond, Anna and Rustin went with me. I was laughing the entire time. First of all, Neil's character is SO dumb the entire time. That made me laugh a lot. Then there was the fact that I understood a lot of the jokes based on the fact that my family was previously Catholic. I would definitely see this show again. In fact...I think I will. Tomorrow. Or not. Dangit. I hate it when my theater budget runs out. But seriously though, this show was thebomb.com.
AND THEN...
We remembered that we are pathetically in love with In the Heights and Graffiti Pete and really wanted to go enter the lottery for Saturday matinee. Guess whose name got drawn second? MINE. So yes, we got to see this as well and you all know how much I love that show. Oh we laughed, we cried, we tried really really hard not to sing along... Anyway, the plus side was that we got to see Lin-Manuel before he leaves his role, we got to see new Vanessa (two thumbs way up for her) and I finally got to see Graffiti Pete who really really needs to teach me how to dance like him.
So, I really don't know why people keep asking me if I like theater. Of course I don't.
On Wednesday, I took the day off because Anna and I were going to go see In the Heights, but that ended up not working out, so I got on her Seat Filler account and saw matinee tickets for the Marvelous Wonderettes. Of course it was AMAZING. I think my favorite thing about it is that I already knew a lot of the songs. Not that I had ever listened to the recording, but all the songs were popular in the 50s and 60s, so naturally everyone knows them. If I was a good singer, that would definitely be the show I would want to be in...or Wicked, or Legally Blonde, or In the Heights... Oh...never mind.
Then, that night, Ash, Anna, Sara Borg and I went to see Hedda Gabler which was interesting... It was very well done but I didn't love it. It just wasn't my type of show. BUT...Mary Louise Parker was quite good in this show. I did like her acting...and her dresses. I want to buy them from her.
Then, as if three shows in one week weren't enough... We decided to try the 20 for 20 deal with Altar Boyz. Basically, 20 minutes before the show starts, they sell all remaining seats for $20. Jason Bond, Anna and Rustin went with me. I was laughing the entire time. First of all, Neil's character is SO dumb the entire time. That made me laugh a lot. Then there was the fact that I understood a lot of the jokes based on the fact that my family was previously Catholic. I would definitely see this show again. In fact...I think I will. Tomorrow. Or not. Dangit. I hate it when my theater budget runs out. But seriously though, this show was thebomb.com.
AND THEN...
We remembered that we are pathetically in love with In the Heights and Graffiti Pete and really wanted to go enter the lottery for Saturday matinee. Guess whose name got drawn second? MINE. So yes, we got to see this as well and you all know how much I love that show. Oh we laughed, we cried, we tried really really hard not to sing along... Anyway, the plus side was that we got to see Lin-Manuel before he leaves his role, we got to see new Vanessa (two thumbs way up for her) and I finally got to see Graffiti Pete who really really needs to teach me how to dance like him.
So, I really don't know why people keep asking me if I like theater. Of course I don't.
No comments:
Post a Comment