random (27) Broadway (26) London (16) beautiful things (15) family (14) travel (14) Friends (13) NYC (13) producing (9) Christmas (6) Europe (6) Paris (6) BYU (5) Florida (5) Thanksgiving (5) theater (5) Apartment (4) Birthday (4) Movies (4) New York (4) RENT (4) Twilight (4) life (4) music (4) Baby (3) Ballroom (2) Broadway Impact (2) Exciting stuff (2) Pretty Things (2) Tags (2) art (2) concerts (2) dance (2) decor (2) equality (2) free stuff (2) marriage equality (2) mom (2) tv (2) Amalia (1) BYU Football (1) Fun Stuff (1) Halloween (1) Literature (1) Louvre (1) Munchkin (1) Oscars (1) Things I like (1) Utah (1) Versailles (1) politics (1) recipes (1)

4.19.2012

Scotland

A few weeks ago, I went on a spontaneous and sort of accidental trip to Scotland. The following may or may not have contributed:

1. all my friends were out of town or severely busy with multiple term papers.
2. i have wanted to go to Scotland pretty much my whole life. 
3. it's literally just a few hours by train.
4. the IRS gave me a generous refund this year. merci (beaucoup). 
5. i started looking into said trip at around 2am.

Taking all that into consideration, I decided there was absolutely no reason why I shouldn't go on a trip. As I was perusing travel sites, as you do, I booked a hotel, but accidentally booked it for the very next day (or the same day, really)! Since it was already 3AM, I couldn't call or change my reservation, and they had already charged my credit card. The only thing left to do was buy a train ticket and carpe diem. 

I was on a train a few hours later. I really enjoyed my little break away from London. All this talk of dissertations and essays and exams and general dissatisfaction with our program was driving me insane and so I chose to ignore it for three days. It was very much needed, and I loved my trip. 

Below are a few shots... Not having Rach with me really sucked in terms of not having the most super fun travel friend with me, but also because I am lacking in good photos. She is seriously great at documenting adventures. These are a bit out of order, but here you go:

I signed up for a one day tour of Loch Ness, Glen Coe and the Highlands. Here, we're on a boat tour along the shores of Loch Ness. I LOVED Loch Ness. It was gorgeous. If I ever go back to Scotland, I'd love to rent a house there and just be there for a couple of weeks. It was lovely!



The highlands were everything I imagined. So beautiful!

A little dark, but I'm right on the shore of Loch Ness right next to Urquhart Castle.

This was on the train on the way to Edinburgh. Most of the trip affords gorgeous views such as this.


The Edinburgh Fringe Festival headquarters! Why was I not there in August???


Adam Smith

One of many installations across Edinburgh inspired by Shakespeare's works


I think she was called Honey. She is kind of a big deal on the tour. She and her mom (Haymish) hang out on the grassy lands and come greet tourists who get to feed them fruit.


I found this really comical. I also applaud whoever did this. This statue was not small. Even just the base was taller than I am. I'd like to know how this was done.

Loved.

St. Giles' Cathedral

More of the Highlands. 

The foundation of Urquhart Castle, which is now in ruins. 

What's left of the Castle walls. Loch Ness.

More Loch Ness. Loch Ness monster sightings? Zero. Boo. 

The view of Urquhart Castle from the boat. As you can see, it no longer looks like a castle, but its history dates back to the 13th Century. It was once one of Scotland's strongest medieval strongholds and saw many struggles between Jacobite and Williamite forces. 

More Loch Ness. I couldn't get enough of it. 

A more clear view of what's left.

A sneaky photo inside Rosslyn Chapel. Photos were not allowed inside, but I highly recommend this as a stop for all who visit Edinburgh. It was just a short bus ride away! The Chapel is really old and has been through a lot of history including, most recently, a very inaccurate account in The Da Vinci Code. There is so much symbology and architecture to admire in such a tiny building. I LOVED it! 

Outside of Rosslyn Chapel. Clearly, much of the exterior has been damaged by the elements. Rosslyn Chapel is currently undergoing the largest restoration to date. If one good thing came out from The Da Vinci Code's connection to it, is that people are now flocking by the thousands to it. Admission sales as well as private donations have made it possible for the preservation project to happen.

LOVE. A view from the outside. I can't remember exactly, but I believe a few of the original stained glass windows remain. I don't think this is one of them, but I thought that it was interesting that a few survived... especially as Rosslyn Chapel was once left to ruin for a period of about 100 years. 
It wasn't until Queen Victoria came across it and declared that it should be preserved that people started taking care of it. 

Rosslyn Chapel with the restoration scaffolding. 

A view from the yard. 

Rosslyn Chapel Cementery... It may have an official name that is different from that, but as I was on my way out, I didn't have time to stop and find out. 


No comments: