Rob found us a second project. This time, we were to produce a play called How My Mother Died of Cancer, and Other Bedtime Stories which was set to appear in the 2010 New York International Fringe Festival. The Fringe is one of the most prestigious theater festivals in the world and we were thrilled to be a part of the New York chapter.
The play, inspired by playwright Chris Kelly’s real-life loss of his mother and including elements of his own experience, reflects humorously and sometimes uncomfortably on the effects of death on a family. Structured as a play within a play, it depicts a group of loved ones trying to cope with a matriarch’s absence, each other’s presence, and the complications that ensue when we try to tell competing versions of the same life story. Part tragedy, part comedy, and part eulogy, the piece strives to take the audience on a revealing and personal journey through diagnosis, treatment, funeral, and everything after.
Given the subject matter, and the sometimes insensitive and straightforward humor, I wasn't sure how audiences would take to it. Still, I think this piece has lots of little nuggets hidden throughout and I really love the journey the family takes throughout the play. Well, audiences loved it! They couldn't get enough of it. They loved all our amazingly talented actors. People laughed and some even cried. At one of our performances, I sat next to a lady who literally sobbed throughout the whole thing. When she found out I was a producer for the show, she gave me a big hug. Our Fringe run was a success, and we sold out 4 out of 5 performances. The one performance we didn't sell out, we were only about 10 seats away from selling out.
We got fantastic reviews! Theatre is Easy called it “a very funny, deeply tender work.” MusicOMH.com branded the show “a must-see,” citing that “the genius of Kelly's play is its ability to hold an audience assuredly in the palm of its hand.”
The success of our show was noticed by the heads of the Fringe Festival and they have invited us to take part in their FringeNYC Encores Series, meaning... we received an extension of 4 performances! We are thrilled! Out of the 197 shows that played in FringeNYC, only 21 were offered an extension.
Major snaps go out to my amazing partner in crime Rob without whom, I would not have been involved in this production. Also, to Chris Kelly who really laid everything out on the table and didn't tip toe around what it means to lose someone you love to cancer. Having been there myself, I identified with his message more than I thought I would. A last round of thanks to the amazing actors and crew. This process was very much a learning experience for everyone involved and I am thrilled it has been such a success.
Opening number of How My Mother Died of Cancer, and Other Bedtime Stories.
The cast of How My Mother Died of Cancer, and Other Bedtime Stories.
Dylan Kammerer as Barry and Josh Hemphill as Trent
Mike Boland as Dad and Sharon Wyse as Eve Gerrity, the actress hired to play the role of Mom
Jim deProphetis as Tim Morgan and Elizabeth Romanski as Kate Morgan





No comments:
Post a Comment