Day 3 was a much easier start than every other day. For one, I slept much better since weird sleeping boys checked out and I had really considerate hostel mates. One of them was a girl from Miami... I forget her name... The other was a guy I never once saw awake... The last was Miles... I actually don't know his name, but he looked like Miles from LOST. He was there as long as I was and was really nice and considerate... he even let me borrow his adapter after I realized mine wasn't working...
Anyway... First thing on the list, was finding a discount ticket to Sister Act: The Musical. Good thing I have my priorities in line. I hopped on a bus that took me to Oxford Circus and spent some time trying to find the Palladium Theater...
Side Note: London's West End is nothing like Broadway.... All the West End Theaters are spread out all over the place, Broadway's are in the same general area...
After purchasing a ticket for only £25, I hopped on the Tube to Green Park, crossed the park, and made my way to Buckingham Palace to visit Her Maj the Queen of England. I got there fairly early and stood directly in front of the gates as I awaited the Changing of the Guard. I would say that the Changing of the Guard is something everyone should see, but I found it a little anticlimactic. Still, I was glad I included that in my Monday itinerary. I didn't see Her Maj (obviously), she must have been out for tea while wearing a fancy hat. Or something.
The only good picture I got. I got tons of video and will post later on...
At the front of Buckingham Palace... That's Green Park just beside it. I sat at this fountain just enjoying the lovely London sun (an oxymoron) and eating lunch.
Visiting Her Maj the Queen of England.
As per Miss Kayla's orders, I decided to visit the Royal Mews. Buckingham Palace is closed to tourists when the Royal Family is in London, so I wasn't able to tour the palace but I decided to take K's advice and head to the Mews. The Royal Mews houses the State horse-drawn carriages and motor cars which are used for coronations, State Visits, royal weddings, Opening of Parliament and so on. Two of my favorite carriages were the Glass Coach (built in 1881) and the Gold State Coach which has been used for every coronation since George IV's in 1821. The Royal Mews provides free audio tours and I found it so interesting to learn about each of the coaches on display.
The Glass Coach
The Gold State Coach
After my tour, I bought a panini at a little cafe across the way from the palace and headed over to the fountain that faces it to eat my lunch. After this, I took the tube to the right bank of the River Thames in search of the Globe Theatre. I had so much fun walking through the little museum that highlights the accomplishments of William Shakespeare as well as the productions that have been done there since it's reconstruction in the late 1990s. There were a lot of really beautiful costumes, props, scripts and displays to look at and learn about. My favorite part of the museum was an exhibit entitled "Join the Cast" where you can read lines from Julius Caesar, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet and A Winter's Tale. The machine reads with you and records the scene, then, you can play it back and listen to yourself as a character. Needless to say, I read every single scene that was available... My favorite was the one from Julius Caesar where the Soothsayer issues Caesar the famous warning: "Beware the ides of March!"
Shakespeare's Globe. Located right on the right bank of the River Thames.. Stunning.
Oh hi. I look so ridiculous in all my winter gear but it was FREEZING.
I am not sure how I would incorporate this into my life, but I need one. Beautiful gown on display at the Globe.
Tech rehearsal of Henry VIII. He is played by the actor all the way in the front wearing a green-ish/brown-ish coat.
After starring in four of Billy Shakespeare's finest, I headed up to the theater where tech rehearsal for Henry VIII was being held. It was so fun to watch the rehearsal and see the director at work telling his actors how the scene needed to be done. My tour guide told us that the last time Henry VIII was performed at the Globe Theater, was the day it caught on fire... During the play, as a matter of fact...
After the Globe, I walked across the river and towards St. Paul's Cathedral. I loved how airy it was inside... Most cathedrals tend to have a really somber look about them but this one had so many windows that it was surprisingly airy and light.
This view is stunning. You can see it all the way from the right bank and walk straight into it.

Totally not my picture, but I wanted you to get the idea of how light and airy it is inside. Lots and lots of natural light which is uncommon in this type of architecture.
By the time I got out of St. Paul's I was completely exhausted. I took the bus back to Oxford Circus and visited the Apple store to use their internet. I felt out of touch with my friends and hoped that they would be online and I could say a quick hello.
Home Sweet Home. The Apple Store in London.
Dinner on Monday was spent at Garfunkel's Restaurant. The food itself was all right. Nothing special, but it was more "English" than any of my other meals while I was in London. Also... what is up with their Fanta? It is so delicious there. Why is that?
Pretty ok. Once more, someone I know might have a lot to say about my chain restaurant food choices, but I'm not going to name any names. :)
I was delighted to be seeing sister Act: The Musical. I found it entertaining and thought it was very well-done. Patina Miller did a wonderful job starring as Sister Mary Clarence and she had the part down to an art. The show was lively and funny and I loved every minute of it. The sets were absolutely fantastic!
The beautiful Palladium Theatre
I loved this show... and what's more... I LOVE LOVE their art... Like their marquis, cast recording, program art...
Part of the set at the end of the second act
After my show, I headed back to the hostel and packed my stuff... I was only one sleep away from La Belle France!















2 comments:
I love seeing your photos and hearing about your London excursion. It's making my desire to hop the pond even greater. :)
These posts are awesome! I'm getting the biggest urge to travel Europe!!! There is totally something different about the Fanta in Europe. Mark and I LOVED the Fanta in Armenia too. Yum!
Post a Comment