random (27) Broadway (26) London (16) beautiful things (15) family (14) travel (14) Friends (13) NYC (13) producing (9) Christmas (6) Europe (6) Paris (6) BYU (5) Florida (5) Thanksgiving (5) theater (5) Apartment (4) Birthday (4) Movies (4) New York (4) RENT (4) Twilight (4) life (4) music (4) Baby (3) Ballroom (2) Broadway Impact (2) Exciting stuff (2) Pretty Things (2) Tags (2) art (2) concerts (2) dance (2) decor (2) equality (2) free stuff (2) marriage equality (2) mom (2) tv (2) Amalia (1) BYU Football (1) Fun Stuff (1) Halloween (1) Literature (1) Louvre (1) Munchkin (1) Oscars (1) Things I like (1) Utah (1) Versailles (1) politics (1) recipes (1)

12.11.2007

Recent movies that I loved...

Since I LOVE movies, I thought I would share with you my thoughts on some recent ones, that are still at the theater...

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium-
How can anyone not like this movie? Seriously. Dustin Hoffman does such an amazing job portaying Mr. Magorium. He is so likeable in this movie. I have yet to see a Dustin Hoffman movie I didn't like, but this one is by far my favorite. Natalie Portman, who plays Mahoney, also does a great job. It is good to see actresses/actors who have maintained a certain standard. This movie is honestly a really sweet story. I love the connection between Mr. Magorium and Mahoney and also the connection between the little boy (I think his name is Eric) and the "mutant" (AKA The accountant). It's a great movie for all ages. Katia, maybe you should take Cody and Nathan:)


Enchanted

Is it cheesy? Yes, but what Disney movie isn't? I loved this movie! It may be because it takes place in New York City, or maybe because Patrick Dempsey and James Marsden are in it. They happen to be two of my favorite actors... I mean, Dr. McDreamy and Corny Collins? Or, maybe it is because it is a musical... It was just fun. Suprisingly, even my guy friends liked it. Go see it. You will definitely laugh. It has a pretty good cast. Susan Sarandon plays Queen Narissa and Timothy Spall plays Nathaniel.

My only disappointment? Nancy, who is played by Idina Menzel (who was in the original Broadway Casts for RENT and Wicked) does not have any singing parts... It's probably because she is so good and would put everyone else to shame.




August Rush
Okay... let's talk about how all of the sudden there are a million amazing kid actors out there... who are way better than some of the older, more well-known names. Seriously. Freddie Highmore (who was in Finding Neverland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) is so good in this movie.
I think that the story is really original and the cast is awesome. It's been a while since I've seen Keri Russell in anything (well, aside from her 2.3 second role in Mission Impossible 3...and I never saw Waitress). It is good to see her our of her sad Felicity stage. That whole show is really more of a blur for me... something to do with an RA and drama and a car accident? Also, I absolutely loathed Robin Williams, so clearly, he was doing his job.
The music in this movie is simply amazing. If you don't like it, then I am pretty sure we shouldn't be friends.
Also... a new addition to the Favorite Actors/Actresses list:
Jonathan Rhys Meyers (for obvious reasons).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Careful Nina, with all of this posting you've been doing recently you're in great danger of moving to the "frequent bloggers" list.... YIKES!

Emron said...

i also liked enchanted, surprisingly. I only went for the first 15 minutes of new DINSEY animation by James Baxter! Incredible guy! But the rest of the movie was quite enjoyable, I thought the main girl, whoever her name is was awesome.
Anyway, nice blog, I enjoyed reading it. Most blogs I just skim through, but you managed to get my attention for a while. Good work!
Sorry I missed you over new years. Next Time!
cya!