random (27) Broadway (26) London (16) beautiful things (15) family (14) travel (14) Friends (13) NYC (13) producing (9) Christmas (6) Europe (6) Paris (6) BYU (5) Florida (5) Thanksgiving (5) theater (5) Apartment (4) Birthday (4) Movies (4) New York (4) RENT (4) Twilight (4) life (4) music (4) Baby (3) Ballroom (2) Broadway Impact (2) Exciting stuff (2) Pretty Things (2) Tags (2) art (2) concerts (2) dance (2) decor (2) equality (2) free stuff (2) marriage equality (2) mom (2) tv (2) Amalia (1) BYU Football (1) Fun Stuff (1) Halloween (1) Literature (1) Louvre (1) Munchkin (1) Oscars (1) Things I like (1) Utah (1) Versailles (1) politics (1) recipes (1)

8.22.2010

Day 9: I must have all the Ben's Cookies in the world.

Day 9 finally came around with a lot of mixed feelings. I was thrilled to be going home so I could stop living out of a suitcase, stop sharing my room with complete strangers and stop eating things from restaurants. I was ready for my bed, my friends, my roommates, home cooking and like any girl... my hair straightener. AND... I was really REALLY ready to talk to my mom.

But, I was not ready to leave the charm and beauty of Europe. I loved being on vacation, treating myself to wonderful meals, shows, and culturally infused activities. It was a dream vacation and I didn't want it to end. There were so many things I still wanted to see and do. My flight was leaving Heathrow at 5PM (sadly way way way on schedule) with no threat from the ash could (I really wish that volcano had come through for me). I decided to take it easy on my last day and go out for one last round of London fun.

I decided I wanted to check out Notting Hill Gate so I hopped on the bus that took me to the West side of Central London. Maybe I just didn't know the right place to get off but I actually never found it. Instead, I rode the bus around in a loop seeing many parts of London I hadn't seen before. Some were really not cute, or charming... Or worthy of my limited and precious time. I got off at the end of the bus line which ended at a Costco-like place and jumped on a 6 bus that took me to Oxford Street. 
At Oxford Street, I paid one last visit to heaven. Some call it Ben's Cookies. I wanted to get rid of my British pounds and so I only had enough to buy two cookies (without having to revisit an ATM to get more). Then, I walked over to Oxford Circus and window shopped. I also stepped into Carnaby Street which is adorable and charming and basically resembles Diagon Alley. 

Attempting to access the Ministry of Magic.


The lovely Carnaby Street




Elephant Parade. My favorite, I think...
For lunch, I stopped at a really cute restaurant that I wish I could remember the name of. Maybe you guys can help? It was just off Regent Street. Somewhere in between Oxford Circus and Picadilly Circus. On the West side of the street. You walk into an alley and there are a bunch of little restaurants and cafes within the alley. Ring a bell? Anyone? It was a buffet type place where you pay by the weight of your food? Well, it was delish. Whatever it was. It had a great ambiance. Very earthy decor and wide open windows.

Goodbye TUBE. I shall miss your lovely and clean trains...

What? I think these would get more response in NYC.

After lunch, I headed back to Astor Hyde to collect my luggage and got on my way back to Heathrow. The trip there was stressful as the Picadilly line stopped running and we were forced to take shuttles that took us to another station only to get on another Picadilly train... BUT not all Picadilly trains stopped at Terminal 4, which is what I needed. I actually ended up waiting for quite a while and was nervous that I would miss my flight.  Eventually, the slowest train came along and slowly got me to my terminal with just enough time to return my Oyster card and check in. 

After that, it was a breeze through security. I had a few pounds leftover from my Oyster card return and decided to buy some treats and nail polish from Boot's. Before I knew it, it was time to board my plane and get back to real life.

As we flew over Ireland (and near the ash cloud which was actually visible from the plane window), I felt so grateful that I had the opportunity to live another dream. I realized how doable this trip was once I set my mind to go and vowed to take a trip every year. So what's next? Probably London again, Italy, Santorini, Switzerland, Austria... Hmm... Too many places.


Goodbye, Ireland. Goodbye, you unreliable ash cloud, you... See it?

No comments: