random (27) Broadway (26) London (16) beautiful things (15) family (14) travel (14) Friends (13) NYC (13) producing (9) Christmas (6) Europe (6) Paris (6) BYU (5) Florida (5) Thanksgiving (5) theater (5) Apartment (4) Birthday (4) Movies (4) New York (4) RENT (4) Twilight (4) life (4) music (4) Baby (3) Ballroom (2) Broadway Impact (2) Exciting stuff (2) Pretty Things (2) Tags (2) art (2) concerts (2) dance (2) decor (2) equality (2) free stuff (2) marriage equality (2) mom (2) tv (2) Amalia (1) BYU Football (1) Fun Stuff (1) Halloween (1) Literature (1) Louvre (1) Munchkin (1) Oscars (1) Things I like (1) Utah (1) Versailles (1) politics (1) recipes (1)

7.09.2010

Day 5: Les Escalieres de Notre Dame et La Joconde

Day 5 was a SLOW start and here's why: The Mouriers are the BEST hosts EVER. After a LONG day of being dripping wet and walking in the freezing rain, nothing was better than blissful sleep in their quiet home. No weirdos to share the room with, no slamming doors, actual curtains on the windows. I think you get the point. I had set my alarm clock for 7AM and I did not get up until 9AM.

I got ready and headed out to take the train into Paris. Well, that was not as easy as it sounds... To get to the RER A, you have to walk to the bus stop, and take the 213 bus to the Noisy Champs station. Which would be fine... If I could remember how to get there. Elliot had shown me the night before how to get to the bus stop, but I got lost and could not remember how to get there. I walked around for an hour or so. I had even used my amazing French to ask a passerby if she knew where the stop for the 213 was. She did not know. But she did know where the boulangerie was, so not helpful.

Oh there it is... One hour and many wrong turns later.

Thank goodness for T-Mobile. I finally gave up and called Amanda (Elliot's sister) and she was able to tell me where to go. By the time I got to Paris, it was already 11:30AM. My plan had been to visit Chateau de Versailles but I felt like by the time I got there, I would not be able to see as much, so I decided to swap my Wednesday and Thursday itineraries... Which means: Wednesday was my Notre Dame, Latin Quarter, and Musee du Louvre day.

The Latin Quarter...

When I arrived at the Chatelet Les Halles station, I grabbed breakfast at a boulangerie (un baguette and Orangina) and switched to the RER B, which is so convenient because it leaves your RIGHT in front of Notre Dame. I sat down on a bench and people watched while eating my breakfast, then I went inside to look at the cathedral. I thought it was such a beautiful place. The architecture is obviously out of this world, but I loved knowing how old that place was... It is so evident in certain parts.


So impressive.


Candles at Notre Dame


One of the amazing stained glass details

Main altar inside the Cathedral


Not my own picture, but how stunning is that? 

After spending some time inside to take pictures and such, I headed outside to walk around to the back. There is a little gated garden behind Notre Dame with the most spectacular view of the back of the Cathedral. I sat there forever, taking it all in, still not believing that I was actually in Paris. In front of me was the gorgeous Notre Dame, behind me was the peaceful Seine... It was such a surreal moment and I was so happy that I worked so hard to give myself this trip.

Looking super ridiculous in all my winter gear again. So cold. 

The view I could not stop starring at for a whole hour 

Since I was so into the moment, I decided I would go and walk around the Latin Quarter portion of Paris. There are so many beautiful buildings in this area. I could have spent days with my head to the sky looking at them. I walked into lots of souvenir shops, never actually buying anything (souvenirs, my dears, are highly overrated and a waste of money). I eventually made it into L'Occitane en Provence and bought lip balm, which is pretty much the only thing I bought myself in Paris.

France would not be a good idea for anyone who claims they don't eat sweets. 
A) You're a liar 
B) I don't think you can resist
C)All of the above


The charming Latin Quarter
In the Latin Quarter, I found a charming creperie that faces the Seine and ordered a crepe with Nutella, bananas and Creme Chantilly. Oh the heavenly delight! I paired it with hot cocoa and decided it was the most enjoyable lunch of my life.

I'd like to visit daily. Amazing creperie.


It's a good thing crepes of this size are not as abundant here... It was delicious.

After lunch, I headed back to Notre Dame to climb the stairs to the top. I had to wait in line for a while, but I was happy to. I finally made it inside and started the climb, but nothing could have prepared me for how bad those stairs are. First of all, it's a spiral staircase, so you never see where it will end. Secondly, there are no places to rest. Lastly, I do not have the ability to pace myself, so I shot right up... Right around stair 200, I got REALLY tired (and I was counting)... but had to keep going because I had a long line of people behind me. I finally made it to the top, 402 steps later. I literally thought I might need oxygen. OK, not really, but it was BAD. We (all the other tourists) were laughing so much because we could not believe how ridiculous we all looked after climbing those stairs. I also could not believe no one warned me!

Deadly. Like, literally. These steps are so old and the staircases are mostly dimly lit. In several places, the stone has eroded away leaving random drop offs which are not entirely helpful when you can't see and your legs are no longer in working condition.

While up there, I saw the famous gargoyles. Such scary yet intriguing creatures. It's been said that they were intended to ward off evil spirits when Notre Dame was built... A more functional use? They serve as rain water drains...
My favorite Paris shot. I love the way the gargoyle looks as though he is watching over The City of Lights. The Seine looks so peaceful and the Eiffel Tower is stunning in the distance.


I like how in this shot you can see the detail on the buildings. 

I also saw the Gros Bourdon (the oldest bell at Notre Dame) which is only used for special occasions. After this, I climbed yet another set of steps to the very top level which yielded a stunning view of Paris. It's such a wonderful thing to look out and see the Seine and the Eiffel Tower in the distance. Once more, I literally could not believe I was standing where I was.

The Gros Bourdon

This is where you go in to see The Gros Bourdon

At the very top of Notre Dame. Pinch me moment #3,486,403 of this trip.

Unfortunately, the visits to the top of Notre Dame are timed, as there is always a line of people waiting to go up, so I didn't get to stay up there as long as I would have liked... I went back down and sat on a bench in front of the Cathedral. This was mostly due to the fact that my legs were entirely useless. If I tried to stand up, my knees would buckle. How embarrassing! What am I? 80?

One my geriatric episode was over, I hopped on the Metro towards Musee Du Louvre. That place is fantastic. I loved knowing that it was once the residence of royalty as well as a fortress. It wasn't until the  Revolution that it became a museum. It does not disappoint in grandeur and architecture. I was so in love with it.


I knew that I would not have enough time to see everything, and while I appreciate art, I also knew I really didn't care to see ALL of it, so I focused on finding the Mona Lisa first and then taking it from there. I eventually ended up inside the Apple Store and spent some time talking to a few friends. Bless you, GMail.

After my Apple Store stop, I headed back to see more Italian Renaissance art as well as the Napoleonic apartments housed in the Richelieu wing of the musee. I stayed there until it closed, grabbed dinner at McDonald's (because it's supposed to be, like, fancy or something) and once more, headed back to the Mourier's house. 
On my way to the Mona Lisa. I wish I had enough time to see every piece I walked past.

I know I look really apathetic, but I was actually really excited to be seeing this.

Gorgeous art, gorgeous room.


Liberty Leading the People, Delacroix, 1830. My absolute favorite French Revolution piece.

View from Denon Wing at the Louvre

Winged Victory of Samothrace, discovered in 1863 but estimated to have been created around 190 BC

Ummm.... Can't remember, but lovely nonetheless... There were a lot of pieces referencing Louis XIV as well as jewels and trinkets belonging to royals throughout the centuries.

Inside the Salles Rouges at the Napoleon Apartments housed in the Richelieu Wing of the Louvre

I must go back many many times. There is not enough time to take everything in...

Day 5 was exhausting, but I was happy I was able to experience so much history, not only by visiting such places, but by seeing the works that tell the stories of times past. Most of all, I love knowing that this place houses and preserves the talent and culture of those who created these pieces.

No comments: